Cross-linked polyethylene molecular chains (PEX) are formed into plastic tubing that can be used to fix various plumbing and heating problems. Since its invention in the 1960’s, HDPE pipe continues to be popular in Europe. In the past ten or fifteen years, it is increasingly popular in america. The material has become touted as more flexible, more affordable, and better at withstanding extreme temperature than copper or CPVC pipe. PEX pipe can withstand temperatures as much as just beneath boiling (200 degrees Fahrenheit, 12 degrees lower than boiling) and as low as just before freezing. PEX-a is easily the most flexible form of PEX and has the capacity to expand in freezing temperatures after which return returning to form, whereas copper pipe will burst, causing huge problems within your body.
Three grades of PEX tubing are produced, each made using a different production process. PEX-a, made with the Engel method, is known to be the strongest and the majority of flexible in the three grades. PEX-b, made with the Silane method, is also relatively strong and versatile. PEX-c, manufactured by the electronic beam method, is a more brittle material, so that it is more challenging to work alongside. Regardless of what grade you decide on, there are actually PEX products like tube cutters and PEX uncoilers that make the material easier to manage during installation.
Important details to find out when choosing PEX tubing:
1. Will you be making use of the tubing for a plumbing or heating application?
2. What size tubing would you like to need? The available sizes typically range from 5/16″ to 4″. Some applications require specific sizes; for example, only Quik Trak is only able to be installed with 5/16″ tubing.
3. Would you like to color code your plumbing system for simple reference? Red, white and blue tubing are around for this purpose. There is absolutely no difference from the functionality, but red is normally useful for hot lines and blue for cold.
4. What time period of tubing do you want to need? Tubing can typically be found in coils of 50-1200 ft. The amount of tubing needed is determined by the actual size of the region you happen to be installing as well as the loop lengths.
5. What grade of PEX material are you going to need? Poly fittings can be purchased in three material grades PEX-a, PEX-b, and PEX-c as stated before. In case you are in the region that gets very cold, you should use PEX-a to prevent the risk of your pipes bursting if your pipes freeze. You will also want to use PEX-a when you purchase the ProPEX Expander system because only PEX-a is flexible enough to return to form and create a secure fitting after being expanded.
6. What tubing type is essential to your specific application? The three tubing types are oxygen barrier, non-oxygen barrier, and aluminum PEX. Oxygen barrier tubing is normally used for heating applications, and will help to avoid iron components, for example cast iron pumps, from rusting. The principle benefit Aluminum PEX, or PEX-AL-PEX, is hdpep1pe it holds its shape when bent. PEX-AL-PEX is generally employed for high-temperature applications, for example baseboard.
When focusing on a PEX project, whether it be for a heating or plumbing system, you might need a assortment of products along with PEX tubing. PEX fittings (specialized parts made for connecting PEX to PEX or PEX to copper) and PEX tools (tools designed specifically to work alongside PEX products) will probably be vital to the prosperity of your heating or plumbing project. Furthermore you will want a PEX radiant heat manifold or PEX plumbing manifold in addition to insulation, thermostats other installation parts. controls such as thermostats, and also heat insulation could also be purchased. Radiant heat and PEX plumbing starter packages can also be found online so it will be feasible for DIYers to acquire everything they need for project in one place.
Plumbing and heating problems are already solved using PEX-AL-PEX pipe. These products are made by using a polymer material that may be flexible, less costly and in a position to sustain extreme temperatures than copper or CPVC pipe. There are many options to consider when planning your project and it is important to choose parts which are compatible with all the other regions you might have chosen together with your pc. Consider PEX tubing and PEX products for your next heating or plumbing job.